Friday, May 21, 2010

What is better for take downs judo or wrestling?

I started my High School Wrestling Team - way before many of you were born, and have many Jujutsu and Judo friends who have tossed me around like a sack o%26#039; scat!





From my experience, they are both great. They both contain elements of each other.





I would rather find a good Jujutsu instructor as Jujutsu has so many more techniques than either, including bjj.


|||Freestyle/collegiate wrestling has the quickest and simplest takedowns of all the grappling sports. This is not disputed by anyone. A freestyle grappling champion will score the first takedown on the judo, greco-roman or BJJ champion almost everytime.





Having said that, Judo is still very good, and offers an advantage in that it deals with gripping clothes, so you can use them to throw some guy on the street, and also are good at breaking an attackers grip if they grab your clothes.





You will find once you do any of the above sports,you can cross over quite easily. The basics for throwing are the same.|||Which is better? Its all going to depend on the situation. If you have an opponent who is just standing still, then I%26#039;d think a double-leg takedown from wrestling will fit the bill perfectly. But what about when you%26#039;re in a fight and you and your opponent are clinched and moving around the ring? Then a hip or shoulder throw from Judo is going to come in pretty handy. Neither one is perfect in all situations.





If I had to pick one over the other, at the end of the day I%26#039;d go with judo just because it teaches you about how to divert and control your opponent%26#039;s strength. In other words, its not just teaching you how to throw him over your shoulder, its teaching you how to do it in such a way that you will end up in control of him as soon as he hits the ground. Very, very handy if you%26#039;re in a fight.|||they both have there pros and cons. wrestling has good powerful take downs and builds a lot of strength, endurance and training attitude.





judo has both strength and finesse take downs. your cardio is more up to you as it is with all martial arts.





I had the opportunity to train with some judoka here a little bit ago, and let me tell you I have been slammed by some good wrestlers but I have never hit the mat as hard as when I started training with the judo guys.





The first thing the did was show me a basic hip toss(forget the name) and I said %26quot;I learned that in TKD%26quot; I said it just matter of factually but I guess they did not like that. One of the guys said well here do it to me. I tried. It was like trying to pull a tree. Then he said here let me show you the counter. WHAM!





wrestling will give you good take downs and some trips and judo will give you some throws and reeps.





in the very end Judo is better because it will teach you submissions and ground fighting not just ground control. you will learn how to fight off your back as well. oddly enough to me it seems the take downs have holes for each other, In wrestling you want your hips low and way back. a good judoka will toss you across the room if you have that stance but in judo you will stand more vertical and feet closer together, a good wrestler can pick you up and drop you on your head.





realisticaly it is still up to you. you will have good take downs with either of them|||Neither is better. They are different.





Many wrestler take judo to better their wrestling skills. As a person that has years of practice in judo. We could almost always tell a person that was a wrestler. They tend to rely more on the strength. But in judo you rely more on techniques. You use your opponents strengths against them. It is about off balancing you attackers.





My personal preference is Judo. I have learned some judo and some wrestling. But that is just my preference. That doesn%26#039;t make it better.





By the way a good judoka (judo student) does not need a Gi to throw someone. We don%26#039;t need your clothes either. We simply allow you to throw yourself. We just help in the prcess to make sure you hit the ground very hard! :)


Then we choke you out or submit you.|||Judo.





Judo has an insane amount of throws.





Nevertheless, bear in mind that wrestling is not only takedowns, but pinning and controling your opponent as well.





The training you undergo in wrestling is ALOT tougher than the one you go in Judo on average.|||Wrestling. It is much simpler. A judo takedown will have you tie up with someone to complete a throw or a takedown.


None is better than the other, but wrestling is simpler, therefore I recommend that.|||Judo would be better, because they teach you how to protect yourself from being thrown as well as throwing an opponent. Wrestling relies too heavily on strength whereas Judo can use an opponents weight to his disadvantage.|||Wrestling. The takedowns have a higher success rate and don%26#039;t require a gi.|||Wrestling.|||They are a bit different so it depends on what you are using them for.

No comments:

Post a Comment