Monday, May 17, 2010

How much will this help me in Judo?

My old Ju-jitsu school went under and now I have my first Judo lesson on monday.I have 2 years of Japanese Ju-jitsu and 3 months of BJJ. also lift weights SIx days a week(Bench Max 225) (Squat Max 250). How well should I expect to perform against the other people there.|||Squating and Benching aint going to help much, you should%26#039;nt expect to compete with other people, rather just focus on yourself, I had 8 years of Akido which actually hlped me alot during practices. Do expect alot of randori once you guys learned the basics and reviewed them. Ippon (technically 1 point throw) requires alot of upper%26amp;back body strength depending on how you lock your opponent. If you screw up you can hurt your back. Get a firm grip on their Gi if attempting to throw or lock.|||Judo involves a lot more throws, but so many of the techniques are similar that you should pick it it up pretty fast. In my opinion Jujitsu is a superior discipline when it comes down to debilitating an opponent, but that%26#039;s just my opinion.





Also, I%26#039;ve taken Martial arts for more than ten years now (primarily taekwondo and jujitsu, along with smatterings of other disciplines, including Judo). But more important than what I was taught was the way I was taught. My first school was in the Southern U.S., and was a pretty much no-bones-about-it fighting school. We sparred once a week in full fighting gear and went at it like we were in bar fights. Lotsa injuries. We didn%26#039;t pay a lot of attention to forms or meditation and the spiritual side of the whole schmeer.





When I moved to Colorado I had to find a new school, and, I gotta tell you, it was (and still is) a lot of fun. Racked more a*ss in the seven months I%26#039;ve been in classes here than I did in the nine years previously. As anybody that%26#039;s sparred much knows, the really fancy stuff (like 540 kicks in taekwondo) are pretty much useless in a real fight, fancy as they look in the movies. What you are trained in has less to do with winning than being fast and determined.





Yah, I know, I%26#039;m missing the point about what the whole thing is supposed to be all about. Like hell. I%26#039;ve always taken martial arts for two reasons - to stay in shape and to learn to kick butt. You can have all the other stuff. I used to live in downtown Atlanta, so I had my reasons.





Maybe the folks at your new school will be weenies and you%26#039;ll have as much fun as I did/am.|||Well, since judo is the training form of jujitsu you will have to %26#039;unlearn%26#039; a few things. It%26#039;s like starting anything new. As Musashi said, all things are difficult at first.|||You should hold your own very well. The groundwork you acquired in BJJ should help you gain the upper hand with most judoka on the ground and your ju jutsu training should help you with the stand up work in judo. good luck!





http://markschat.blogspot.com Fighting and training methods for the unarmed martial artist.|||Just remember Judo was created from Jujitsu.

No comments:

Post a Comment