Monday, November 16, 2009

I am currently a black belt in Judo and have been in boxing for going on 2 years I mainly started if for self?

defense. Should I take MMA of Kuk Sool Won for extra self defense or do you think that I have enough fighting skills in for self defense? I don%26#039;t like high kicks because I have witnessed how high kicks can get you into alot alot of trouble. I called the instructor for Kuk Sool Won and I asked him mainly what it consisted of and he told me Judo and Tae Kwon Do is for sissys. I didn%26#039;t tell him I was and still am in boxing. Should I go further and pursue another blackbelt or should I stay in boxing? Do I have enough self defense skills? Whats your advice?|||If you want pure self defense why not take an extra class once a week in Krav Maga or something.





If you want the MMA experience I would not quit what you are doing right now. Actually I have a similar experience to you. I had a long amatuer boxing background as a kid. I%26#039;ve been training in Judo for a few years. I didn%26#039;t want to stop Judo so I also have an arrangement with a local MMA gym where I come in and work out 1 time a week with there guys. I do light sparring with striking and takedowns. Also do some jujitsu with them. I just had to talk to the owners and make special arrangements. I tried a couple other gyms before this one but the owners were not flexible and wouldn%26#039;t work with my schedule. If you ask around I bet you can find a situation like I have.|||If you are doing judo and boxing, I at least don%26#039;t have to shoot down tradtional martial arts to you, since they are two realistic styles.





My advice is test your skills out in an MMA club. You are already very prepared with your background.





Save kuk sool won and TKD etc. for those nights you just want to go and beat up on some easy guys.|||For theoretical self defense and discipline, or do you want Raw take downs and punching which are real life experience self defense techniques?





MMA training will help do that, because boxing is more a disciplined sport.


Whats your boxing going to do for you when someone shoots in





youll try your judo,


but what happens if you cant toss them, or pin them?


youre going to get to scrapping.





And as someone who did TKD, and boxed more than a few years Id say for true self defense, get with an MMA training group.

No comments:

Post a Comment