Saturday, November 14, 2009

Are there any drills for balance or throws that I can practice on my own at home for Judo?

I just started Judo, I%26#039;m 16, and I want to improve on my own. Any ideas?|||One thing I%26#039;ve been shown more than once:





Stand facing a wall with your hands out in front on the wall (like you were being searched by the po-po). To practice for a hip or over-the-shoulder throw, step in like you would for such a throw. Make sure you squat deep, and that there is no gap between your butt and the wall; this is the main point of the drill. Basically you%26#039;re treating the wall as you would an opponent you%26#039;re going to throw.





I hope the verbal description was good enough... I can%26#039;t draw pictures.|||Yes. It is called the %26#039;Happo no Kuzushi%26#039; the forms of off-balance. There are %26#039;eight%26#039; forms of off-balance which are essential fundamentals for Judo.





Your sensei should teach you this kata right away.





You can find the Happo No Kuzushi at:





http://www.judoinfo.com and go to %26#039;search%26#039;.





Or read the very good book:





KODOKAN JUDO by Dr. Jigoro Kano, which contains the %26#039;Happo No Kuzushi%26#039; and everything else about Judo.

No comments:

Post a Comment