Friday, November 18, 2011

What does it take to get on Judo team in college ?

Hey, I am starting college this fall, and was hoping to get some in school judo training while I am at it ( my school has a judo team). I already emailed one of the coaches to find out more details about it, but I was just wondering may be somebody here have been on a judo team before and wouldn%26#039;t mind telling me more about it.





Thank you|||There are teams that compete in the Colleagic National Championships.





And there is colleges that have school sponsored teams. (Not just club or intermural teams).





There aren%26#039;t many, I take it you go to either Cumberland College, San Jose State, or Texas A%26amp;M? Those are the larger ones.





If Cumberland, send a mail to Doug Fortune (you can find him on the school%26#039;s directory) for San Jose Mike Swain (again also on the school%26#039;s directory) Not sure who is in charge at Texas A%26amp;M now.





However you can get athletic scholarships and the whole like through those schools. Getting on the team is normally a matter of the coach recruiting you, or you getting into one of the Judo classes and impressing them.





I was fortunate enough that one of my former coaches was a coach of a program and he recruited me. Others got on either through recruitment (being great high school and junior players) or by getting picked up from the school%26#039;s Judo class participants.





Being on a team is great, plus you get the benefit of an athletic programs perks with gear, a great place to work out and someone to tell you how to do it.





Feel free to message me and let me know which school you are talking about, and I will see what I can do to get you some more information.





Most of the time it is about recruitment, or simply wanting to be involved. A good tournament record is a definate plus.





Again feel free to message me and I will see what I can do for you.





Best of luck.|||Judo is not a NCAA sport, so the Judo team is probably a club sport or an extension of a class offered by the school.





I am currently on a Judo team through my school, Cal State LA. Our team functions as an extension of the Judo classes that the school offers. We take the class, which serves as our practice time, and enter tournaments on our own. The instructors support us by coming with us to the tournaments on their own time and coaching us. We also belong to the USJA, which makes the rank that we earn through participating in tournaments official.





Getting on the team is as simple as taking the class and wanting to compete. Students don%26#039;t usually compete until their 2nd or 3rd quarter taking the class, depending on the student.|||My high school is right next to sac state so we always have college judo and mma guys come in and screw around, sometimes I can take guys 30 pounds heaver than me in submission grappling but others can make me tap without trouble. From what I have heard its mostly live matches not practice so if you do find a guy thats good there he probably has more experience at a real gym.





Just go in and try it out....

No comments:

Post a Comment