Sunday, April 26, 2009

Why did you start Judo and why have you stayed with it?

Do you agree that sport competition wins are a major reason why


judoka should be promoted in Rank? and, could someone get a


high rank without a winning shiai record history? Could someone


never do randori and still consider themselves a judo person?|||I think sport comp wins are part of a reason a person should be promoted. If they are immature or have poor technique and crappy training practices then they should wait. Sometimes a naturally gifted person will come in and clean up in Shiai but have lousy technique, they obviously don%26#039;t need to advance in rank until they have the ability to properly do the technique.





I know plenty of people who have gotten high in rank without a winning shiai record, especially people who are involved in Judo on many aspects, but say cannot compete physically anymore. At some point in your Judo career you will no longer be competing but still giving to the art as a referee or a coach, or just involvement in your dojo.





Could someone never do randori and be a judo person? No, randori is key to understanding techniques and using them in an applicable manner. Randori is not shiai, and a person can randori without going all out. Randori is a major part of judo, mainly because not only are you helping out yourself, but you are helping out your partner, mutual benefit. You can do all the uechi komi in the world, but unless you do it moving in and in a randori situation you will not fully grasp the throw itself, nor the joint locks or chokes, until you do it on a person who is resisting.





I started Judo to complete myself as a martial artist, I wanted grappling to go with my stand up, I wanted to know how to control a person if he grabbed me, that and I was dating a Judo girl and thought I would give a try.





I stuck with it because I love it, I enjoy competition, I love the chess game of it, it keeps me sharp and in shape, and combined with what I learn it is an excellent foundation, plus I use it all the time. Not to mention breakfalls have saved my damn life.





I don%26#039;t think I will ever master it, it is like golf. There is always some new challenge to it.|||Sorry, I%26#039;ve never done Judo.

No comments:

Post a Comment