Sunday, April 26, 2009

Im about to begin Judo or BJJ. What kind of injuries can i have in judo and what safety equipment is needed?

Thank you guys!


I am looking forward to select between BJJ and Judo.


I pay much attention to safety from injuries.


Also , id like to know, which one do you think safer? ,


Thanks a lot.|||Judo is a little safer only because it isn%26#039;t a trendy style. When a style becomes trendy it can attract some teachers who have limited knowledge in the training methods. Neither style is dangerous if you are practicing under a qualified instructor.





I have not experienced any injuries in Judo or Jujitsu in my 40 years of practice. My injuries came from wrestling, high school football, and MMA contests. I would guess that people who report injuries in either style were actually injured in another sport, or even riding a skateboard. Maybe the injuries only surfaced later.





If you are an active person, your knees, ankles, shoulders, and back are probably going to start wearing out before you do. This is just a result of a longer life span and the natural aging process.|||I have been training in both BJJ and Judo for many years..doing this long enough you will experience pain in your joints particularly your hands and ankles..most active Judoka (you will see people often tape of their joints, fingers and ankles )





Judo and BJJ are both excellent and they compliment each other. I know many Judoka who are well into their 80%26#039;s and still train.





My one sugestion is to remember to alwayas practice good form|||In martial arts training there is always a potential risk of injury and that%26#039;s why good schools and instructors while teaching and training their students hard keep the injuries down to a minimum. They have rules in place and enforce them, don%26#039;t pair inexperienced students with other inexperienced students for certain things, (that%26#039;s just asking for accidents to happen), and stress caution and safety as certain things are being taught or practiced.





As for the types of injuries you can expect anything from a broken finger or toe to a broken arm, collar-bone, torn knee, or dislocated shoulder if students and instructors don%26#039;t exercise the proper control. Judo is safer since it does not stress joint locks to the extent that BJJ does and schools are usually required to carry insurance. This is where a little shopping around, watching several classes, and talking to some of the students afterwords can be helpful in making your decision. If it is what I sometimes call a hard core or rough school and you don%26#039;t want that hard of training then it probably is not a good place for you to go. The amount of contact, physical pain and the risk of injuries is oftentimes higher in those schools especially if the instructors and students don%26#039;t exercise proper care when working out.|||neither is really safer.. tho due to the fact that Brazilian Jiu jitsu has more holds, submissions by arm bars, and chokes.. probably a more likely possibility that youd get injured by BJJ than by Japanese Style judo.|||I did a little judo for a few years as a kid and have a little experience with BJJ training with one of my housemates


I never got any serious injuries from judo but it tends to be a


********* on hands and feet if you have a bad landing. The very first training in BJJ actually gave me a nasty nerve injury on my foot. It works the joints so it can indeed overwork the joints. I never heard of any safety equipment for either.|||litsen im not here to start trouble or anything but isnt ufc martal arts boring pro wresling is much beter guys|||I have done both for many years.





Judo = bad knees and fingers/toes





BJJ = bad elbows and maybe knees/ankle if you train with jerks





As for safety equipment - if you are over 30 - you HAVE to wear knee pads in judo. You will thank me in 10 years.





EDIT





%26quot;Judo is safer since it does not stress joint locks to the extent that BJJ does and schools are usually required to carry insurance.%26quot;





I had to laugh when I read this. I competed at a fairly high level in both BJJ and Judo - I mostly competed at the regional level but went to several national level events as well. I received MANY more injuries in Judo than BJJ. They have recently changed the rules about using your head as a way of avoiding points - which I never had when I was competing. Judo is a much more dangerous art for your body. The injuries to my neck and back still haunt me to this day. My injuries from almost a decade of BJJ are a bad right elbow. I would trade the back, neck, and knee pains for my hurt elbow any day of the week.





As with anything - it depends on the level you train at. If you train with a good local group of guys that focus on the technique instead of winning major tournaments - you will likely not get hurt badly in either art.

No comments:

Post a Comment